Thursday, June 18, 2009

It's Been A Long Time...


It's almost been a year since I had my second knee replacement surgery, the first one being in Feb of 08'. It's been a long hard road, having been in a wheelchair for 3 years prior to the surgery, I wasn't even sure I would ever walk again. I'll never forget choking back the tears driving home from a doctor's office after he'd told me he could not do surgery on my legs, they were just too contracted...Luckily, I found a brilliant DR. at Stanford Medical that did a great job on me. The wheelchair kind of snuck up on me. I used it to ease the pain of walking but it robbed me of that task completely. My knees just locked up and I could not straighten them out to walk at all.


Anyway, now I look forward to getting on with things I had long lost the feeling for, like playing my drums and singing. I got the idea for starting a band again, and since I had not been in one for a few years it's been hard getting my drum playing and singing chops back again. Sometimes I forget how out of shape my body had become...that sneaks up on you, too...


The band I have in mind would play music that I have a feeling for...a lot of Steely Dan, because I like the challenge and the sound, and Sting. I love Ten Summoners Tales, one of his best efforts. He is truly a gifted singer/song writer.


So here I am sweating and toiling away learning song and I suddenly I give in to a long standing urge I used to get....the urge to be the "front man" of a band instead of the drummer who sings back up. I want to be the lead singer...


I have taken voice lessons in the past and have sung the lead in stage musicals and sung lead vocals on a few songs in bands...


Okay...


I go back to voice lessons once a week, I buy a CD from a singing coach with a killer warm up exercise on it...I practice my butt off trying to squeeze out those few extra high notes I need...and I get a cold...a two week set back...


I have a guitar track from Stings, "Shape of My Heart" that I paid a guy to perform so I can lay down the vocal track for... as kind of a calling card to other musicians...


Like I said it's been rough...it's kind of like putting on a play by yourself in some ways, but every time I think I can't do it, I think back and remember where I've been.


I'm the type of person that completely immerses himself in what he is doing to the point of neglecting all else...Unfortunately, I tend to get to a certain level of competence and just let it go...hence the "Jack of Arts..."


But this time I think I can safely say I am sticking with it...working hard and will get it done...however long it takes, and it will take a long time...


In the mean time my painting and writing have taken a back seat. I have an idea for a painting, or a re-write to a story and I tend to just let them go...I want to be a singer, damn it! Is that so wrong...?


Now ready, breathe and .... AAAAAAAA EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA OOOOOOOOOOO OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...





No comments:

Post a Comment