Saturday, August 15, 2009

Finding a Sublet In NYC


Having been out of the city of New York since 1992 after having lived there for 8 years, I can honestly say I forget how crazy it is to find a living situation there. As in most things, it's always best to "know" somebody. But I know only one person left from the old days and he shares a small apartment already...not something I can dive into. So, I've been looking on Craigslist and what I thought was almost a done deal on a sublet has turned South and now I am hot on the trail of a new sublet in the East Village. I can honestly say it reminds me of throwing bread crumbs into a pond of carp. A frenzy-like atmosphere emerges and you start to stress and get caught up in it. I have been jerked around by at least two (I think) would be scammers, whose sublets were just a bit too good to be true and who wanted me to wire them money. That was a laugh. One woman actually said I could not send my friend to see the place until I gave her a deposit because she had shown the place to a few people and they didn't rent it. Good luck with that! Another potential scammer answered one of my emails at 2:30 AM Pacific time. That means he is either a very early riser or he was someplace other than New York, say maybe Russia?!? Who knows? Anyway, I found a guy, who happens to be a trader on Wall Street and was born and raised in Half Moon Bay, CA. The same place where I own a home and recently moved from. Small world. We'll see what happens. And, BTW, all the places I've seen pics of are small, cramped even, with maybe 400 sq feet of space. My how we take space for granted here in Phoenix!
Out for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment