Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Preparing for NYC


As I prepare mentally for my sojourn to NYC, and the Grand Central Academy, I have been reading through, again, Juliette Aristedes book, Classical Drawing Atelier. In it are the basic fundamentals and some in-depth instruction on the classical drawing methods of great representational artists throughout the last few hundred years, and particularly those of the nineteenth century atelier's that were so prevalent in Europe at the time. The methods and thinking are sound: make a good drawing and the painting will follow. Above all else, get the drawing right. Modeling form is fun, difficult and often frustrating for the art student. This book explains step by step the processes needed to acquire the skills to master representational drawing. I took a workshop from Juliette back in 2007, and enjoyed it very much. It opened my eyes to the work involved in developing the skills see and think as an artist. Although, I did already "see" as an artist to some degree, this strictly reinforced what I had instinctively started to develop. Consistent hard work is the key. Developing ones eye and skill takes some time, but I am confident that, since I have been drawing and painting since high school, as a part time artist, my development shall not be impeded by age. I am optimistic, and look forward to immersing myself completely in art. Next blog…about the art galleries I plan to visit. Love it already!
http://www.amazon.com/Classical-Drawing-Atelier-Contemporary-Traditional/dp/0823006573/The Photo is a self portrait by Juliette.

No comments:

Post a Comment