Thursday, August 13, 2009

Well It's Official...


I will be spending the month of September in NYC, studying part time at,
The Grand Central Academy of Art. http://grandcentralacademy.classicist.org/nightclassesdrawing.html
By part time, I mean, M-TH 6:30 – 9:30 PM, and Sat 12:30 – 4:30 PM The tickets are bought, the sublet is waiting, and I am ready to head back to NYC! The school was started by Jacob Collins, Dan Thompson, and others. I had the pleasure of studying under Dan for a workshop in 2007 in figure drawing. What a great guy. He also studied with Jacob Collins at The Water Street Atelier, also founded by Collins.
http://grandcentralacademy.classicist.org/waterstreetalumni.html
I've also had the pleasure of attending a workshop with Juliette Aristides, also alum of the same school. http://www.aristidesarts.com/
I had the pleasure of taking a portrait class from Jacob Collins in the early 90's at The National Academy of Art in NYC. Mr. Collins has been a huge inspiration to me and my pursuit, although part time, of being a better artist. And although I have pretty much been a part time, or Sunday painter, as I like to say, I have been inspired to take my art to the next level. Unfortunately for my music, I have found I no longer have the energy or the will to play full time in a band. I will, however, pursue that as a "Sunday" drummer/singer. At The Grand Central, they teach in the classical tradition, where skill in draftsmanship came first and was highly developed. This will be the foundation of all my future artistic endeavors. To be achieve above all, a good drawing, all else will follow. I will start will "cast drawing" and "figure drawing." As I am a part time student, this will only be for one month, but I am completely psyched to be able to immerse myself completely in my art work. I will be documenting this incredible journey through this blog...
Wish me luck!

Chuck

No comments:

Post a Comment